Play Dead in Paris

The band, the music & all related topics.

Moderators: jeff, OX4

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Diabolik
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Play Dead in Paris

Postby Diabolik » 26 Jul 2007, 20:47

Anyone remember Play Dead playing the Eldorado club in Paris suported by Flesh for Lulu? Round about late summer 84. I know it happened cos I was there but I cant find it listed on either bands gig history.
Any ideas?

Red Sunsets

Postby Red Sunsets » 26 Jul 2007, 20:50

sadly never saw PD, but welcome anyway :D
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

steve

Postby steve » 27 Jul 2007, 11:15

Hi Guy.

I remember the gig well, which is strange as theres not that many I remember, due to good times being had. If Im correct the gig was called Les Enfants Des Nuit. and a rockin good night it was.

Steve P.D.

John_R

Postby John_R » 27 Jul 2007, 12:56

I remember when Flesh for Lulu supported PD at the Klub Foot. This was a large room above a pub on London's Hammersmith one way system.

Memories I can rake up about that gig were the appaling way the power was supplied to the lights, it was very unsafe which was not untypical of the time.

I also remember Jim Parsons who did the sound had asked for some extra stuff for that gig. The guy who supplied the add-ons put so much in that the speaker stacks only barely fit between floor and ceiling.

Finally, I used to use a lot of floor lights for PD, and when Flesh for Lulu were on the lead singer (Nick) decided he didn't like the light in his eyes so he trod on those that shone at him. I called him on that many years later when I did a few gigs for a band that had Nick and Rocco in, but I forget the name of the band.

jeff

Postby jeff » 27 Jul 2007, 14:18

I have a bootleg of that klub foot gig that I will upload to the site this weekend. (I only have the PD gig though)

I've been slowly upping bootlegs over the past few weeks, so I'm in the zone so-to-speak.

-jeff!

Diabolik

Postby Diabolik » 27 Jul 2007, 16:30

Nice one steve. I was starting to think I'd lost it. Like you said things from way back when are now a little hazy to say the least. But yeah the Paris gig was tip top.

I remember the the Klub Foot show, I was there more for Flesh for Lulu than for Play Dead. It was basicaly upstairs at the Clarendon. The place also had a basement bar with a small stage. I think I saw Flesh for Lulu in there too, probably only the second or third time Rocco ever played with them. Ken Scott was spotted lurking at the back.

Donglos

Postby Donglos » 28 Jul 2007, 18:33

I have just uploaded some photos of Flesh For Lulu at http://gigpix.fotopic.net/c1333676.html
Not taken in Paris but at the Baths in exotic Scunthorpe on 8th Nov 1985.
25 years of gig pix http://gigpix.fotopic.net

Red Sunsets

Postby Red Sunsets » 28 Jul 2007, 18:40

I never, and still don't get FFL :cry:
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

jeff

Postby jeff » 28 Jul 2007, 22:21

Here's the bootleg

This particular show has a lot of unreleased tracks it seems-I probably don't have the correct track listing on them, but that's what I was given when I received the cassette that this was transferred from.

Enjoy!

-jeff!

The Plague

Postby The Plague » 10 Aug 2007, 06:29

Hello everyone!

Continuing with the thread of Play Dead gigs in Paris, I've received a boot in a trade a few weeks ago labeled 7/1/84 Paris, Forum DesHalles.

Comparing it side by side with the mp3 version posted by Jeff for Jan 7, 1983 it appears to be the same show. Now the question is, which year did it really happen? The one on the site's giglist for 1984 lists it as Paris Theatre (unless it refers to Paris Theatre in London?) Or would it be Theatre du Forum in Paris? Perhaps those of you more familiar with the setlists for different tours can settle the year definitely. It also brings to question whether both of them actually happened? Two shows in Paris (if that's the case) exactly on the same date, one year apart? Discuss...

The Plague

P.S. Due to a difference between US/European dating, it could be that the traded show I first mentioned comes from July 1st 1984... the plot thickens :?

jeff

Postby jeff » 10 Aug 2007, 14:04

Hi!

I've had these same thoughts about those shows.
The setlist is most certainly early. I originally had this listed in 1984 as well, but by then, they had dropped almost all of those songs from their set, so I am most confident that it's from 1983.

Unfortunately, I don't know where the source for that boot came from.
I may have the cassette of it around somewhere, as I had the exact same questions you've got.

I suspect it is quite likely though that the CD you received is originally from me, at least copies anyway. (and welcome, fellow USA play dead fan!)

-jeff!

johnpne

Postby johnpne » 14 Aug 2007, 18:57

The Play Dead gig in Paris was on the 7th Jan 84 i went to this
with quite a few members of the crew and have poster advertising
it the support at this one were called Shock Corrider and were some dodgy french band if i remember right this was the first time Play Dead played abroad so the 83 gig cant have taken place maybe someone
will prove me wrong.

jeff

Postby jeff » 16 Aug 2007, 19:03

johnpne

Postby johnpne » 16 Aug 2007, 20:04

jeff

Postby jeff » 17 Aug 2007, 13:45

Return to “Play Dead”