Questions for Steve. Don't be shy, people!

The band, the music & all related topics.

Moderators: jeff, OX4

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Matt W
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Questions for Steve. Don't be shy, people!

Postby Matt W » 11 Aug 2007, 20:51

We're all grown-ups now, and I'm sure Steve won't be the slightest bit embarrassed if we let some fanboy stuff loose. I might argue that 22 years of loyal fanship should come with such perquisites!

One question I'm shocked that hasn't been asked: Steve, you've made it clear that the band was "dead serious" about the symbolism in the logo. Right on. Would you finally reveal to us all what the cryptic question on the back of the Burning Down 12" single says? We have suffered long enough!

Thanks Steve! Thanks PD! Thanks Jeff!

steve

Postby steve » 14 Aug 2007, 10:22

Hi Matt.

Always fine to ask a question. Me remembering the answer is a different matter. I can't recall what is written on the sleeve and as I don't have a copy your gonna have to remind me.

Steve P.D.

Matt W

My best translation

Postby Matt W » 14 Aug 2007, 23:12

Greetings Steve! The phrase on the back of the 12" single of "Burning Down" (Incredible song, by the way. Um, yeah. Stellar.) Says:

"pan dheffen ha mos fol, pyth en?"

Through the magic of the internets I have found that it's probably Cornish, and my best translation is something like "When come and go foolish, property?"

I think I'm missing the finer poetry of the language. I thought that colloquially it could mean "Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate?" Or "Fools may come and go, but don't touch my stuff." I'm at a loss. I'm not sure my fellow fans have fared much better on this one. Do you remember what it means? Can you tell us what may have inspired the phrase? Was it meant for someone in particular? Or, was it perhaps a general message of frustration and futility in regard to the music business?

Thanks for taking the time to stop by Jeff's humble creation. We're all just big fans living vicariously through some real kicka$$ music.

Hope all is well with you.

Matt
Rochester, MN, USA

Matt W

Also Steve here's just something to pass along for fun.

Postby Matt W » 14 Aug 2007, 23:21

I was also a pretty big Killing Joke fan (as many of us are) and through various circumstances I've been able to meet the dudes. One thing I'd always ask them about was Play Dead. In fact, I must have surprised them with my tenacity because when I got Paul Raven to autograph my 12" of Love Like Blood, he put "To Matt, the biggest Play Dead fan ever." Or words to that effect. I'll try to get a scan on here for fun.

The other story I got was when I finally got to meet Geordie Walker. This was late 90's I believe. Before a gig in Saint Louis, MO I cornered him at the venue to get his autograph and of course ask him what he remembered about Play Dead. When I said the words he gazed off in the distance and paused briefly. He then exclaimed "Samantha!" Apparently, of all the girls that followed Play Dead around, Samantha was Geordie's favorite. Thought you'd enjoy.
Last edited by Matt W on 14 Aug 2007, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

Matt W

"Shut up about Play Dead already..."

Postby Matt W » 14 Aug 2007, 23:51

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46897494@N00/

I don't know if this flickr link will work.

steve

Postby steve » 16 Aug 2007, 14:18

Hi Matt.

If I remember correctly its more like "we live in the house of fools". or something like that, not totally sure.

Good to hear you caught up with the "Joke" a fav band of us all. Geordie made it very obvious how much he liked Sam at the time, everybody did. the one problem was that she was Rob's girlfriend and had been for some years, but no longer. If you bump into Geordie again tell him that she's now married and lives in Spain. Ah the one that got away.

Steve P.D.

johnpne

Postby johnpne » 16 Aug 2007, 20:25

Dave the Fish

Oh no, a muso question...

Postby Dave the Fish » 21 Aug 2007, 12:29

Hi Steve, the first PD album I bought was 'Into the Fire'. Upon getting home and putting it on 'Mr twirly', I was hooked! My question is: how the hell did you achieve that H-U-G-E guitar sound??? You seemed to favour stratocasters, which aren't renowned for their 'ballsiness' but the dense, heavy sound of the guitar on that album is a-bloody-mazing. A lot of live albums tend to be pretty disappointing, but Into the Fire was ace. You seemed to get a very similar sound on the 'Sacrosanct' single.

I'd guess you used a load of chorus or something, but it was a pretty unique sound - what was your favoured set-up around that time?

That was a really geeky question. :roll: Sorry.

Thanks, Dave

steve

Postby steve » 21 Aug 2007, 13:22

Hi Guys.

First of all. how the hell are you Doddy, all this brings back a lot of fuzzy times and guest list blags. good to hear from ya. Hope all is good for you. Send me a PM let me know whats going on.

If I remember correctly ( ? ) it was our first trip abroad and didn't we all get very wasted. No change there.

steve

Postby steve » 21 Aug 2007, 13:33

Hi Dave.

My Guitar set up was very simple, Live I used Strats but they were always doctored with changed pick-ups. I prefered the way they felt. The phatness came from the guitar being in stereo with a stereo chorus. and lots of Marshall watts. Live was for having fun, studio for playing around with stuff.
In the studio I would use a variety of guitars and amps. effects were off the board normally as there cleaner.

Cheers

Steve P.D.

Dave the Fish

Oh no, a muso question...

Postby Dave the Fish » 22 Aug 2007, 14:32

Thanks Steve, you're a legend!

8)

Matt W

Mystery Solved

Postby Matt W » 26 Aug 2007, 02:00

Thanks Steve. Was I right about it being Cornish?

Side note - was just on vacation in Colorado USA and saw a girl with a t-shirt that said: "Cornish Girls Rock." A PD fan, no doubt.

Matt W

Oh here's one

Postby Matt W » 26 Aug 2007, 18:28

Steve-

Are there any "alternate tunings" that we need to be aware of? Or did you do everything in EADGBE?

steve

Postby steve » 28 Aug 2007, 10:32

Hi Matt.

Standard tuning was always used, but we detuned the guitar and bass A=430 rather than 440 a semitone lower.it adds a little weight to things

Steve P.D.

Return to “Play Dead”