Memories from the Tufnel Park gig.

The band, the music & all related topics.

Moderators: jeff, OX4

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
John_R
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Memories from the Tufnel Park gig.

Postby John_R » 02 Nov 2007, 18:28

What with the activity on this and the March Violets web sites I have been slowly digging old memories out and I had a search through old files to see what I have lying around.

I have in front of me the drawing of the lighting design for the above gig, and on the back is a hastily written set list. I had already remembered that we all put way too much stuff in there.

This gig was also known as The Savoy Club and was upstairs above a pub called The Boston Arms which I think is still running.

Jim Parsons of Tiger Hire did the PA as usual, and had asked a guy called Mick Anthony to bring extra kit, just some more speakers I think plus amps to suit. When Jim turned up he found Mick had emptied his whole truck in there and piled it high, the PA was absurd for the size of room!

I had brought a total of 80 lights plus smoke and strobes, I dread to think what the power supply was like as it was always lacking in these little dives. According to this drawing we had a pipe across the back with a black drape, the band's logo behind the drum kit, various vertical bars of lights either side of that, plus the dragon banners at the outer edges.

As was usual for me much of the rest of the lights were on the floor.

The set list as written differs from the list on this site only in as much as my list doesn't show Propaganda as the last encore.

I have no idea at all if any photos exist, these days are so different with digital cameras and the chance to take that shot over again till you get it right.

And if Mick Anthony ever reads this, I have never forgotten nor forgiven him for painting a huge dick in white paint on one of my flight cases! :)

Excuse the rambling... :)

jeff

Re: Memories from the Tufnel Park gig.

Postby jeff » 02 Nov 2007, 22:52

fantastic stuff! ramble away!

Now that you've brought this one up, I'll make that the next gig I mp3 and upload. Maybe that'll bring even more memories back by listening to it again.

Any chance you could post a scan of the lighting layout? I mean, why not?

-jeff!

Red Sunsets

Postby Red Sunsets » 14 Nov 2007, 19:19

thanks for sharing guys :D
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

John_R

Postby John_R » 14 Nov 2007, 21:22

I'll have to find time to get it scanned. I have a scanner, but its on permanent loan to someone else at the moment!

If I get a chance I will go round to where I store old accounts files, and see if I still have the diaries from those days. I found some Violets tour itineraries and a drawing from one of their tours, possibly 1984, plus other stuff like The Waterboys and a few others me and a couple mates were handling.

Red Sunsets

Postby Red Sunsets » 14 Nov 2007, 22:03

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

shaeve

Postby shaeve » 17 Nov 2007, 07:09

Mutate or Die!!

jeff

Postby jeff » 13 Apr 2008, 17:14

ok, finally gotten off my ass and uploaded the mp3s of that gig:

have fun!

John_R

Postby John_R » 19 Apr 2008, 21:34

Return to “Play Dead”