Would you believe it!!

The band, the music & all related topics.

Moderators: jeff, OX4

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Little Dave
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Would you believe it!!

Postby Little Dave » 03 Jun 2008, 15:06

I was trawling through google and i thought to myself, "I know, i'll google Play Dead and see what happens" and this site turned-up!
My name is Dave, other wise known as little Dave, and i used to follow Play Dead years ago. I was from Nottingham and i used to have the picture of the woman holding the musical notation painted on the back of my leather jacket.
The first time i saw Play Dead was at the Retford Porterhouse supporting Sex Gang Children.
I then went to see them at the Lyceum in London and then followed them around the country on the Killing Joke tour.
After that i can remember the Tube show, the trip to Paris and countless other gigs (Can anyone remember when the skin heads smashed the place-up in Birmingham-Jesus, that was crazy!)
I have fond memories of wearing my 'stay dead' t-shirt, tramping around the country to get to gigs and sleeping in all sorts of crazy places while on tour
(I slept ina boot of a car in London after i had hitched down from Manchester)
Anyway, a great site and it brings back some amazing memories

jeff

Postby jeff » 04 Jun 2008, 14:13

hey Dave!

there's plenty of people here who have similar experiences, so I suspect some folks here will likely even know you just from your descriptions. This place was a buzz for a few similar reunions last year, so I expect more to come as people find out about the site and stop in to say hello.

(alas, I share none of your memories-never saw the band live, and am living on the other side of the pond)

Some of the gigs you mentioned may be available as bootlegs here, so make sure you poke around in the gig list section and check out the downloads here too:

http://companyofjustice.com/mp3s

Oh! BTW everyone, I've recently posted the entire CD of "the first flower" as released by cleopatra records in the above link. The CD is wholly out of print and is now going to huge piles of cash on gemm.com, so this is my attempt to level the playing field a bit. If some record label were to put this CD back into circulation, I'll gladly pull down the links, but until then, if you don't have it, go get it. (and then promise to buy it if it ever does get re-pressed)

-jeff!

Little Dave

Hi Jeff

Postby Little Dave » 05 Jun 2008, 09:29

Hi Jeff

Well, first things first
What a fantastic site this is; truly excellent. Following Play Dead was, for me, over half a life ago (I started when I was 17 and now I am in my 40s) so a lot of water has passed under the bridge. However, this site just keeps bringing back long forgotten memories which makes me make involuntary loud statements such as, ?Bloody hell, did I really do that? and, ?That was crazy!?. My wife keeps looking at me in a peculiar way and I have to explain why I am making these statements. She then stares at me as if I?m mad when I try to explain what ?chicken dancing? is and why I slept on a bench in Victoria bus station in London for two nights when I was 17. (My wife for 8 years has either known me as a school or ex-school teacher, not some one who had red and black dreadlocks, wore eyeliner and who used to get on stage and ?chicken dance? with a band. I got her to watch the clip of PD on the Tube playing Walk away (fantastic clip by the way, well done) and she said, ?What are all those people on the dance floor doing! It looks like one big fight?. And I replied, ?That?s chicken dancing?. She looked perplexed and wandered off.

Anyway, less of that. What I love about this site Jeff is all of the memorabilia; its just brilliant. I definitely remember being at the Leeds warehouse, Rock city, London Klub Foot and Dingwalls Gigs. I remember the Paris gig but at 17 and on the dole I did not have the money to get there.
One of the funniest memories I have of a live Play Dead gig is when they performed at the Lead mill club in Sheffield. It was Steve?s birthday and we all made ?cream pies? out of shaving foam and, half way through the show, a few of us got on peoples? shoulders and threw them at Steve while singing happy birthday. He was totally covered in shaving foam and, even though he tried to continue playing, he had to stop. I remember Rob could not stop laughing. At the same time, a bloke called Fuggy-from Dudley, threw me onto the stage and so I started dancing next to Pete, who kept mumbling, ?get off the f**king stage?
I used to have a tape of this gig so you never know; there may be still one out there somewhere!
It is also great to hear the first flower again. I remember having to actually order it from my local record shop before its release because they were not going to stock it.

Finally, how did you discover Play Dead if you never saw them and live in the US; that is amazing! Play Dead were never a fashionable band at the time and other bands had bigger followings and more publicity (The Death Cult, Sisters of Mercy, Killing Joke, Sex Gang etc.). All I can say is that it was a shame you never saw them as I saw all of the aforementioned bands and I, personally, think that Play Dead used to blow them out of the water.
Well, I could go on for hours more but I would only bore you stupid (my wife is having to put-up with all of my blathering)
A fantastic site, keep-up the good work
All the best
Little Dave

Red Sunsets

Postby Red Sunsets » 29 Jun 2008, 00:07

I don't have those memories but "Hiya"! :D

I saw them on the Tube and they got their hook into me, having said that, I think CoJ is their shining moment
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

Little Dave

Postby Little Dave » 05 Sep 2008, 15:36

Hi red sunsets

sorry i have not replied to your post but the last few months have been crazy for me (in the middle of changing career)
I see you live in Glasgow
I lived there for a few years as my wife is from Glasgow
Anyway, glad to hear that you have some good memories of PD
cheers

Return to “Play Dead”