gig missing

The band, the music & all related topics.

Moderators: jeff, OX4

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
playdeadandi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

gig missing

Postby playdeadandi » 05 Oct 2008, 19:16

1ST time isaw play dead was july 83 supporting killing joke at rock city
nottingham worked at time with little dave donn at a later date hitched
to birmingham which turned out to be the tin can club gig.i was backstage
or stageside most of the evening as there were multiple stage invasions.
a group of us were dropped off by the bands tour bus at new st.station
i was told by fuggie that the trouble stemmed from digbeth gig supporting
killing joke the previous year,after a nervous half hour at train station we
went to wolverhampton crashed at fuggies mum&dads and went to sheffield leadmill gig happy days names i remember include ady from goole batman from manchester doddie fuggie roz from corby stan the man
from london playdeadandi

jeff

Postby jeff » 06 Oct 2008, 17:40

Thanks for the missing info!
I've put it down as july 20th, since the date following was also with killing joke. If you ever get some hypnosis done and are able to go back in time to remember the actual date, I'd appreciate it. :)

Little Dave

Postby Little Dave » 27 Oct 2008, 16:36

Playdeadandi
I am really sorry, this must appear very rude of me but i can't remember your face and where you come from.
I remember seeing PD at rock city with KJ ( i am from nottingham) i remember the tin can gig, i remember staying the night at fuggy's mum & dad's house. I can remember fuggy & doddy & aslef & batman & the 2 women who lived in the squat in Brixton and, i remember an Andy from Cardif and another bloke who knew Jaz from KJ who lived in London & i think his name was Andy.
Sorry mate but could you help me out. I was 25 years ago & my memory must be going
cheers
little dave

bluefromnowhere

What he said.....

Postby bluefromnowhere » 29 Oct 2008, 17:08

Sorry about this - this probably won't help, but my name was (and indeed still is) Andy. I'm from Stockport/Manchester and I crashed at Fuggies that night too - as did my mate Roy - also from Stockport...Doddy was probably there too, although I'm not sure.

I knew Batman (real name Malcolm Harris I think), I don't remember him being there night. He wasn't going to PD much by then. I remember Little Dave - I think he stayed at my Dad's house in Leeds after (probably) PD at the Warehouse. Apologies if I'm confusing you with somebody else.

Seemingly, more than half of PD following was called 'Andy'. Wasn't the Manager called Andy too?

Fuggy had a great collection of music video. I remember watching Iggy Pop doing 'I'm Bored' on the OGWT.......

bluefromnowhere

What he said.....

Postby bluefromnowhere » 29 Oct 2008, 17:22

Actually Dave, now I think of it, I think I must be confusing you with somebody else.....somebody else called 'Dave' :)

Little Dave

Postby Little Dave » 30 Oct 2008, 16:02

Hi Bluefromnowhere

I remember going to the Leed's Warehouse gig but i can't remember where i crashed that night
The problem is that this is so long ago and so much water has gone under the bridge.
I also remember that there were a lot of Andys
Fuggy would sometimes call me Dave the hat because i sometimes i would wear a gree army hat
Oh well, if we did meet in the past then "Hi, how are things?" and if we did not then, "Hi, how are things"
Come to think of it, i we must have met because i know for sure that i stopped at Fuggy's house after the Tin Can gig

cheers
Little Dave

bluefromnowhere

Tin Can Aftermath

Postby bluefromnowhere » 31 Oct 2008, 20:42

Hi Again Dave,
The Dave I was thinking of was from Shrewsbury. However, he deffo wasn't at that gig at the Tin Can. Crazy isn't it, but I think I can picture your hat!! I only saw PD about 20 times - but we must have met.

I stayed at Fuggy's a couple of times - once would have been after the Cult at the Powerhouse (went to see Balaam and the Angel).

Batman I met through the Manchester nightclub scene: Deville's, Legends, Blood Club, Berlin etc. I often stayed at his flat (with the black walls) in Hulme - freezing under half a curtain or something! Whatever happened to him? Very clever/funny bloke! He did go to the Venue in Victoria at the end of that PD tour - we all hitched back overnight.

I knew Doddy and Sue Barratt quite well too - both from the Manchester area.

Christ, it's so long ago............

Little Dave

Postby Little Dave » 02 Nov 2008, 12:44

Hi Bluefromnowhere

We must have met because we both stopped at Fuggy's parent's house after the Tin Can club
I also knew Doddy (not sure about Sue) & i had a few daft hitching adventures with batman
If possible, can you relate some of your own 'hitching-where you slet while on tour adventures' on the post "memories of PD, hitching & strange places you slept"
So far only 2 of us have posted stories about what we got up to but i think they are really funny and i would love to hear some more stories from different people. So, if you have any stories concerning where you slept while on tour and any interesting hitching stories then please post them; its great to look back on the insane things you did in your youth

cheers
little dave :D

Dav

Gigs Missing

Postby Dav » 01 Nov 2009, 10:38

Saw them support Killing Joke at Cardiff Top Rank around 4th July 1983 - I know cos it was near my birthday

Also saw them play Stowaway Newport on 6th Oct 1983 supported by Crazy Trains. Great night and met the guys from Demented Are Go and hooked up with them from there

Loved Play Dead, fabulous band

jeff

Postby jeff » 02 Nov 2009, 14:51

thanks!

Added a the the july 4th gig. Could probably cross reference that date with a killing joke gig list and find the exact date. [sigh, KJ and PD in one night! unbelievable]

Added the crazy train support to the oct 6th gig.

johnpne

Postby johnpne » 09 Dec 2009, 21:28

Jeff to add some more to missing gigs, A full tour supporting Sex Gang Children must be early 83 the following is a list of said gigs from a poster that i found 30th Jan Stevenage Bowes Lyon, 3rd Feb Sheffield Limit Club, 5th Feb Coventry General Wolfe, 8th Feb Liverpool Warehouse, 9th Feb Manchester Gallery, 10th Feb Dundee Dance Factory, 11th Feb Glasgow Nite Moves, 16th Feb Birmingham Golden Eagle, 17th Feb Leeds Poly, 19th Feb Cambridge Sea Cadet Hall, 24th feb Reading Bulmershe, 25th Feb Bristol Docklands, this was the first time i started following Play Dead. Also 14th May 1985 they played Amsterdam Paradiso i have the poster for this gig the night before they played somewhere in Utrecht some of the crew went remember staying on a boat in Amsterdam. Gigs were arranged cos Si the manager was a Everton fan and they were in some European cup final in Holland so we went,got a ticket for the football match to.

Return to “Play Dead”