Play Dead gigography

The band, the music & all related topics.

Moderator: OX4

OX4
Site Admin

Play Dead gigography

Postby OX4 » 27 Jul 2015, 12:41

OK, here is the list of PD gigs as it stands. This is Jeff's original list with a few amendments and additions that have been made from reliable and/or verifiable sources and with a few dates removed until we can get confirmation. If anyone has any dates to add or any info that can help improve the accuracy of the list, please feel free to comment. Your input will be very welcome.

1980-
21st December London Pied Bull (with UK Decay)

1981-
28th March London Clarendon Basement Bar
20th April London Rock Garden
7th May Birmingham Ceder Room (with UK Decay)
8th May Liverpool Bradys (with UK Decay)
9th May Northampton Roadmenders (with UK Decay)
11th May Oxford Scamps (with UK Decay)
12th May London 100 Club (with UK Decay)
14th May Leeds Warehouse (with UK Decay)
15th May Retford Porterhouse (with UK Decay)
16th May Bedford Bunyam Centre (with UK Decay)
17th May Cheltenham Eves (with UK Decay)
18th May Bristol Granary (with UK Decay)
19th May London Venue (with UK Decay)
20th May Manchester Mayflower (with UK Decay)
21st May Preston Warehouse (with UK Decay)
22nd May Scarborough Taboo (with UK Decay)
8th August Oxford Caribbean Club (with Judy and the Shades)

1982-
6th Feb London Musicians Collective (with 5or6 & Orange Cardigan)
13th March Northampton Roadmenders (with Wasted Youth)
22nd March Oxford Scamps (with Theatre Of Hate)
31st March London Marquee (with UK Decay)
28th May Bristol Trinity Hall (with 23 Skidoo)
16th December London Clarendon (with GBH)

1983-
16th Feb- London Pied Bull
17th March- London Brixton Ace (with Sex Gang Children)
24th March London Cage Club
4th May Swansea Marina (with Sex Gang Children)
5TH May Dartford Flicks (with Sex Gang Children)
6th May Digbeth Civic Hall (with Sex Gang Children)
7th May Manchester Poly (with Sex Gang Children)
9th May Glasgow Nightmoves (with Sex Gang Children)
10th May Newcastle Dingwalls (with Sex Gang Children)
11th May Lancaster Sugerhouse (with Sex Gang Children)
12th May Leeds Warehouse (with Sex Gang Children)
13th May Norwich Gala (with Sex Gang Children)
14th May Brighton Poly (with Sex Gang Children)
15th May London Lyceum (with Sex Gang Children)
8th July Brighton Alhambra
12th July London Marquee
13th July Birmingham Golden Eagle
15th July Manchester Gallery
16th July Coventry General Wolfe
21st July Sheffield Leadmill (with Killing Joke)
22nd July Glasgow Nightmoves (with Killing Joke)
23rd July Durham University (with Killing Joke)
24th July Ashton Under Lyme Metro Club (with Killing Joke)
26th July Cardiff Top Rank (with Killing Joke)
27th July Nottingham Rock City (with Killing Joke)
28th July Hull Spring Street Theatre (with Killing Joke)
29th July Dunstable Queensway Hall (with Killing Joke)
30th July Digbeth Civic Hall (with Killing Joke)
31st July London Hammersmith Palais (with Killing Joke)
11th Sept London Hammersmith Palais (with The Damned)
18th Sept Leeds Queens Hall (Futurama Festival)
6th Oct Newport Stowaway Club
7th Oct Liverpool College Further Education
8th Oct Retford Porterhouse
11th Oct Leeds Tiffanys
12th Oct Manchester Jillys
13th Oct London Clarendon
14th Oct Birmingham Golden Eagle
15th Oct Coventry Polytechnic
22nd Oct Retford Porterhouse
16th Oct Brighton Pavilion
2nd Dec Glasgow Night Moves
3rd Dec Manchester Polytechnic
5th Dec Leicester Psychic Club (Spectrum Studios)
6th Dec Sheffield Leadmill
7th Dec Wakefield Hellfire Club
8th Dec London Clarendon
9th Dec Birmigham Tin Can
10th Dec Bradford Technical College

1984-
Jan 7th Paris Forum Des Halles
30th May London Clarendon
4th June London Lyceum (with Nick Cave)
13th June Leeds Warehouse
14th June Manchester Hacienda
15th June Keele Uni
16th June Birmingham Tin Can
17th June Sheffield Leadmill
20th June London Venue
7th Oct Stockholm Kolingsborg
10th Oct Norkopping (venue TBC)
11th Oct Copenhagen (venue TBC)
15th Oct Berlin Metropole
24th Nov Aylesbury Friars (with The Cult)
25th Nov London Lyceum (with The Cult)
10th Dec Paris Le Saint

1985-
3rd Feb London Hammersmith Palais (with Killing Joke)
13th Feb Preston Clouds
14th Feb Liverpool Planet X
15th Feb Manchester Uni
22nd Feb London ULU
23rd Feb Oxford CFE
25th Feb Newcastle Tiffanys
26th Feb Whitehaven Whitehouse
1st March Brighton Pavilion
2nd March Retford Porterhouse
5th March Leeds Warehouse
6th March Chester Monroes
7th March Lancaster Sugerhouse
8th March Wishaw Heathery Bar
9th March Aberdeen Victoria Hotel
22nd May Bradford Bier Keller
23rd May Bristol Granery
27th May Nottingham Rock City
30th May Stourport Mount Olympus Hotel
31st May Southampton Riverside
1st June Brighton Poly
3rd June Stoke Shellys
8th Aug London Electric Ballroom (with The Chameleons)
29th Sept Birmingham Powerhouse
22nd Oct Nottingham Rock City
23rd Oct Croydon Underground
26th Oct Manchester University
18th Dec London Tufnell Park Dome
22nd Dec Stevenage Bowes Lyon House

OX4
Site Admin

Re: Play Dead gigography

Postby OX4 » 27 Jul 2015, 14:12

Here are the first lot of TBC's from the master list. Haven't been able to verify these, so any help anyone can give would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

2nd December 1983- Glasgow Night Moves (TBC)
5th December 1983- Leicester Sound Scan Studios (TBC)
6th December 1983- Sheffield Leadmill (TBC)
These are all perfectly possible, as they run up to the London Clarendon date on 8th Dec. The Leicester gig has been discussed before, and a bootleg recording exists allegedly from that day but no definite evidence could be discovered.

?? October 1984- Hamburg Kir (TBC)
A fan over on the Play Dead Appreciation Society Facebook page claims this gig happened in October 1984, as Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy from The Cult appeared onstage with PD after their own gig at the Markthalle. However, the online gigography for The Cult does not list a Hamburg gig during this month, it is listed as 16th June 1984- and at this time PD were touring the UK, in fact 16th June was the date of the infamous Tin Can gig. However, The Cult were touring in Northern Europe during October 1984 (the same month that PD were) so maybe someone's memories have become mixed up.

?? October 1985- Manchester Owens Park (TBC)
This may be a massive act of imagination but I'm convinced that this gig happened. This would have been part of the same short tour that featured the Croydon Underground gig and the Rock City headliner. Owens Park was part of Manchester University but was a little further out of town than the central campus. Rose Of Avalanche supported. Please tell me that I'm not going mad.

OX4
Site Admin

Postby OX4 » 18 Aug 2015, 17:38

Proof that the Manchester gig happened and I'm therefore not losing my mind has come courtesy of archive ace David Manlove. See below. Many thanks to David for allowing us to use any item from his collection. This gig has now been added to the list.

OX4
Site Admin

Postby OX4 » 18 Aug 2015, 17:52

OX4 wrote:2nd December 1983- Glasgow Night Moves (TBC)
5th December 1983- Leicester Sound Scan Studios (TBC)
6th December 1983- Sheffield Leadmill (TBC)
These are all perfectly possible, as they run up to the London Clarendon date on 8th Dec. The Leicester gig has been discussed before, and a bootleg recording exists allegedly from that day but no definite evidence could be discovered.

After flicking through old copies of the music papers in the British Library today, the Melody Maker gig listings for December 1983 does indeed list these three gigs (as well as others) as happening between the 2nd - 10th. The Leicester gig is stated as happening at the Psychic Club rather than Sound Scan Studios though. These have now been added to the list.

OX4
Site Admin

Postby OX4 » 25 Sep 2015, 10:32

Details of some early London gigs added as well as support slots with Wasted Youth, Theatre of Hate & 23 Skidoo in 1982.

Postby FormerNortherner » 21 Feb 2016, 11:08

OX4 wrote:?? October 1984- Hamburg Kir (TBC)
A fan over on the Play Dead Appreciation Society Facebook page claims this gig happened in October 1984, as Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy from The Cult appeared onstage with PD after their own gig at the Markthalle. However, the online gigography for The Cult does not list a Hamburg gig during this month, it is listed as 16th June 1984- and at this time PD were touring the UK, in fact 16th June was the date of the infamous Tin Can gig. However, The Cult were touring in Northern Europe during October 1984 (the same month that PD were) so maybe someone's memories have become mixed up.

Duffys own website is claiming this happened on the second of october http://www.billyduffy.com/memorabilia/t ... burg-1984/

Postby binklebracket3 » 21 Feb 2016, 18:08

Just found CDs of these- 1983: Live - July 28, 1983 Hull, Dingwalls / Live October 13, 1983 Hammersmith, Klub Foot.
The first isn't listed in the gigography. It's on the SoM website here
The second is listed as "London Clarendon". Looks like Klub Foot was a weekly "happening" at the Clarendon Ballroom?

OX4
Site Admin

Postby OX4 » 23 Feb 2016, 07:54

binklebracket3 wrote:Just found CDs of these- 1983: Live - July 28, 1983 Hull, Dingwalls / Live October 13, 1983 Hammersmith, Klub Foot.
The first isn't listed in the gigography. It's on the SoM website here
The second is listed as "London Clarendon". Looks like Klub Foot was a weekly "happening" at the Clarendon Ballroom?

Are these the same recordings that we have listed on the audio archive page? These are downloadable as MP3s so please check them out and let us know. If not, it would be good to hear them.

I also wonder if this 'Dingwalls' gig is becoming confused with the Killing Joke support slot that happened on June 28th 1983 at the Spring Street Theatre in Hull? In fact there is also a recording listed as being made in Durham on 23rd July 1983, when the Killing Joke/Play Dead gig happened in Durham on 23rd June...I wonder if both dates of these are incorrect? It would be too much of a coincidence that Play Dead made return visits to both these cities exactly one month later surely? I will go do more research and get back to you, standby.

Regarding the Klub Foot. I do believe you are right, it was either a weekly 'happening' or some kind of ongoing series of events.

OX4
Site Admin

Postby OX4 » 27 Feb 2016, 15:32

OK. After consulting back copies of the music press in the archives at the very wonderful British Library, it seems that the Killing Joke tour did take place in July '83 and not June (see below). The original info about these dates came from the gig list at the official Killing Joke website (which is currently undergoing redevelopment so I can't provide a link at the moment) so we can perhaps be forgiven for thinking that was a reliable source. I have now amended the list at the top of this thread accordingly.

In regard to the Dingwalls issue, a news report in the music press in mid July 1983 stated that the Dingwalls chain had found itself in financial trouble and that the Hull and Sheffield branches of Dingwalls had already closed. This report also contained a mention of the Killing Joke gig in Hull and the change of venue (see below). So, all mentions of a Play Dead gig at Hull Dingwalls on July 28th are false. The actual gig took place at Hull Spring Street Theatre and was as support to Killing Joke. A very good gig it was too, I remember it well.

It would also seem that the earlier advertised Newcastle Dingwalls KJ gig was switched to Durham University, presumably because of the closure of the Newcastle venue. Glad that is all cleared up now!

Postby tomcurren » 08 Nov 2016, 16:32

They made a gig in La Mèche Bleue near Saint-Brieuc (France) but i don't know when.

OX4
Site Admin

Postby OX4 » 09 Nov 2016, 14:11

tomcurren wrote:They made a gig in La Mèche Bleue near Saint-Brieuc (France) but i don't know when.

Hi Tom. Did you attend this gig? Can you remember anything about it?

Postby tomcurren » 10 Nov 2016, 14:18

Hi OX4,
Unfortunately i wasn't there. Too Young.
I'm trying to get some informations. I just know the concert was good. It was a club located in L'Hermitage Lorge, a small village beside a forest. It lasted 4 years and all local bands played there, most of them coming from Rennes, the french rock/new wave capital from 1979 till late eighties. Dead Can Dance played their first album there too.
I have found the DJ on Facebook and asked him the same question. When i get his answer, i will post it here.
Next week, I will see Peter and the Test-Tube Babies playing not far from this club and will try to pick up some news.

OX4
Site Admin

Postby OX4 » 25 Nov 2016, 17:03

tomcurren wrote:Hi OX4,
Unfortunately i wasn't there. Too Young.
I'm trying to get some informations. I just know the concert was good. It was a club located in L'Hermitage Lorge, a small village beside a forest. It lasted 4 years and all local bands played there, most of them coming from Rennes, the french rock/new wave capital from 1979 till late eighties. Dead Can Dance played their first album there too.
I have found the DJ on Facebook and asked him the same question. When i get his answer, i will post it here.
Next week, I will see Peter and the Test-Tube Babies playing not far from this club and will try to pick up some news.

Hi Tom. Any news?

Postby tomcurren » 28 Nov 2016, 16:32

Unfortunately, not. I've just seen the old club which is a slum actually.
I was occupied with my work too. But i'm talking to the former DJ and he told me the concert was fantastic because they were efficient to control the sound balance. They spend a good time because Play Dead members were friendly. I will perhaps get few informations because i've picked up few contacts of people used to spend nights in that place. I've sent questions to a journalist and waiting for his answer.

Return to “Play Dead”