First Post

The band, the music & all related topics.

Moderators: jeff, OX4

bluefromnowhere
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

First Post

Postby bluefromnowhere » 10 May 2007, 18:20

Hello!

This is my first post on this board. I might not have posted at all but I noticed one or two posts from people who used to go and see them back in the day and so thought I'd add my own memories. Hopefully not too dull.

I remember a couple of the names that 'Staydead' mentioned in his post. Here's a few more: Darren, Fuggy (or was it Foggy? real name Paul I think), Sue, Adrian (from Goole), Helen (Bacup), John (Roadie, also in Chatshow).

I was a bit of latecomer compared to some. I think I first saw PD supporting Sex Gang Children at Manchester Poly. I guess it was through SGC that a lot of the followers of the band picked up on them.

I must have seen Play Dead about 21-22 times - which was peanuts compared to the real hardcore. Anyway, select memories would include getting busted for sleeping in the 'empty' house in Retford. Serious trouble at the Tin Can in Birmingham - the band drove us all back to New Street station - which saved our skins (no pun intended) that night. In fact I think one of the skinheads fell through the roof and broke his neck??. The gig supporting the Cult at Aylesbury Friars when Ian Astbury said 'We're bigger than Play Dead'. A blistering set at the Leeds Futurama festival - best band that day. Many more.....

It seemed that about 50% of PD gigs would see mild to moderate violence in the crowd for one reason or another.If you listen to the beginning of 'Break' on the 'Into the fire' live LP, Steve plays a chord and then pauses briefly. This was because a ruck had broken out which he spotted! I think the band got a bit of a reputation because of this - which didn't help them. They did nothing to encourage this I should point out. Violence was often an issue at many post-punk/indie gigs at this time. Maybe it still is.

On a more contentious note; I think Play Dead could have been more succesful than they were at the time - but that they blew it! Musically their 'golden age' was when their set contained songs like Total Decline, Pray to Mecca, Bloodstains Pleasure and Propaganda. They were generating a seriously powerful funk-driven blast at this time. It was great to dance to (and that's what it all came down to really in terms of going to gigs and still does I'm sure). It was much better than the tribal chicken-dance quick/slow plod of the Sex Gang Children.

Sometime in 1984 (I think), their sound changed - live and on record. The live guitar sound became much more dominant and they ditched the hand-clapper. It all became - to my mind - stodgier! Don't get me wrong, there were still some good tunes 'Walk Away' springs to mind - that was always good live, but it was never as good. Most of the people that I knew that followed them felt this way.
The records on the other hand were relatively polished in comparison to the live sound. Awash with phased bass and reverb like countless other bands of the era. I owned everything up to and including 'Company of Justice' and I have to say that everything after 'Shine' was a bit of a disappointment.....

Well anyway, that's my tuppence worth. I see that many fans on here really rate the later recorded stuff, so I better not labour the point! If PD become an influential band long after they were gone then they probably deserve it more than many 'bigger' bands of the time.

ps. Can't help this but - the Cult were a big drink of water live. Rubbish! :)

jeff

Re: First Post

Postby jeff » 10 May 2007, 20:29

bluefromnowhere
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Yes!

Postby bluefromnowhere » 10 May 2007, 22:30

the tenant

Postby the tenant » 12 May 2007, 11:58

bluefromnowhere

Violence at gigs

Postby bluefromnowhere » 12 May 2007, 16:57

NEVERAGAINRACING

Postby NEVERAGAINRACING » 13 May 2007, 20:09

nma never played vengeance live for ages, then i remeber they came on with it at reading festival one year, what a hoot. Plenty of clog action, the clog factory is pretty close to where i live. We all wore para boots, but one of my buddies got a clog sole put on his Paras at the same clog factory that did the NMA stuff.

Always violence at most of the gigs right throughout the 80's, mainly skin head violence, dunno why. Clans of punks and skins always had something to prove i guess, we fell out with the Punks from Padiham. I had a 1969 Morris Minor Travellor at the time, with alloy wheels, crammed with spikey top punks - yes you can imagine. One of the Padiham guys lifted a huge rock off the wall and threw it at the car, jeez it could have killed me - but the old Morris was tough as owd boots and it bounced off the window.... Couldnt believe that.

Red Sunsets

Postby Red Sunsets » 13 May 2007, 20:38

As a Weegie, the only gig I ever saw any troub at was the Six Grown Children (sic) at Nightmoves. Not only was the band pish but there was about 7 skins just looking for a fight. I was working in a 'richt hard Glaswegian' pub at the time and was pretty used to fronting out dickheads, so after a few digs in the back I turned to this knob on legs and said "sorry am I in your way, can't you see the stage, me an' my mate will move"? The cnut didn't have a feckin' clue what to say. :lol: :lol: :lol: Eventually they kicked off a ruck with some Spikeytops from Port Glasgow. My mate and I stepped over them on the way out. Did I mention Sex Gang Children were pish too! :(
Next time was some skins at The Cure Faith tour in Tiffany's Ballroom, the atmos was right heavy but I saw no troub. Then no more...

and Hello and Welcome! :D
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

Stay Dead Crew

Postby Stay Dead Crew » 18 May 2007, 22:18

Wow I stumbled across this site earlier today feeling nostalgic about Play Dead and Sex Gang Children. Looked at most of the site, dug out some old bootlegs (emailed Jeff) and read through the forum.
What happened to all the Stay Dead Crew and what about Rubberluv crew. I loved going to those gigs, the energy, camaraderie, aggression.
Hitching around, sleeping at mates house, sleeping rough, finding a girl to stay with. I remember the Tin Can Club - what a night, the only gig I have been to where somebody died. Terrible tragedy, silly young over aggressive lad. Bad time Falklands, Thatchers Britain, High Unemployment, Old Towns and Cities decaying.
This period created Two Tone and Goth, but also stupid violence. Music was far more political then than now even with Iraq, gun crime and global warming.

I first saw Play Dead support UK Decay in Manchester in 82, I was 17. The next year they supported Sex Gang and I followed most of the tour. I then remember watching them on their own tour that Summer and then a few gigs in the Autumn. Watched them right through to 85.
It was great going to towns I never been to before, meeting people, getting drunk, having fun. I remember Doddy, Alan, Daz, Foggy, Aslef, Helen, Sue, Jon. There were loads more but I can't remember.
I do remember sleeping at that house in Retford and the police coming, on the beach in Brighton , in a squat in Brixton. Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield etc we always got home somehow. Further away we stayed away.
I might have my Stay Dead t-shirt somewhere.
How many T-shirts were printed. I think Daz designed it. Don't know who printed it. Anyone remember?
I think my favourite gigs wre Manchester Poly May 83, London Lyceum Ballroom with Sex Gang, Manchester Hacienda, Bad Sound but top night and Electic Ballroom. Everyone was there I think we sensed the end. Not sure how time I saw Play Dead but over 70.
Play Dead were an excellent live band, a good bunch of lads who looked after their fans.
No chance of them reforming then. I suppose thats been discussed already.
Any more Stay Deader around

Red Sunsets

Postby Red Sunsets » 18 May 2007, 22:48

funny how all this has kicked off of recent, maybe you should have a look here http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic. ... c&start=50 recognise anyone Image
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

the tenant

Postby the tenant » 19 May 2007, 17:33

Red just looked at that thread and i remember seeing Salvation about 20 times and knew some of the Deep Sea Jivers and Penguin Mosh Squad but the only people i remember are Richard, Nuala, Carl Gyp and Jon Cov who i know Lee in Toronto knows as well

John_R

Postby John_R » 10 Jul 2007, 08:43

Batman

Postby Batman » 12 Aug 2011, 16:55

I was in the Stay Dead Crew and had the T-Shirt and all. I remember the Tin Can Club kicking off and a really cool black bouncer holding back loads of skinheads. I also remember the Golden Eagle in Birmingham going off as well and we had to leave early. We all got taxis to Foggy's house in Dudley. There must have been about 12 of us and his mother was great.

bluefromnowhere

Postby bluefromnowhere » 27 Aug 2011, 12:34

Alright there Batman? I remember your pad in Charles Barry Crescent.. I also remember seeing PD at the Venue in Victoria and you, me and my mate Roy hitching back to Manchester overnight...

Batman

Postby Batman » 24 Sep 2011, 05:32

staydead

Postby staydead » 27 Sep 2011, 20:18

Return to “Play Dead”