Sad news I just read.

Non Play Dead related music discussions

Moderators: jeff, OX4

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
John_R
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sad news I just read.

Postby John_R » 23 Oct 2007, 10:12

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings, but bass guitarist Paul Raven has passed away.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7056986.stm

Dave the Fish

Postby Dave the Fish » 23 Oct 2007, 12:16

Very sad, the good die young.
Best wishes to his family.

steve

Postby steve » 23 Oct 2007, 13:57

Had some great times with that guy.

Steve P.D.

Red Sunsets

Postby Red Sunsets » 23 Oct 2007, 17:18

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

Matt W

Stunned

Postby Matt W » 17 Nov 2007, 18:59

SadBast

Postby SadBast » 09 Jan 2008, 01:26

Raven was rather a cool customer.

It was at a joint Killing Joke / Play Dead gig when I first spoke to him, (a very cold Glasgow on Killing Joke's 'Firedances' Tour). That afternoon's soundcheck, with Raven and Big Paul improvising to Dominator, joined a few minutes later by the firestorm that was Geordie's twin stack of Burman amplifiers was perhaps my most exciting musical memory from those days. I 'slept' (tried to avoid the wind) in a George Square doorway before catching the first bus back to Edinburgh next day...

Funny how I would end up going round the UK photographing various KJ / Murder Inc / Damage Manual line-ups in the early / mid 90's with Raven as my main 'facilitator' (at least on those occasions when he was playing - lol). If there was something making life difficult for me and my co-travellers Raven would be the one to spot it and (as often as not) fix it.

He did me the same favour on the last times we met, when I was again photographing Killing Joke at two nights of '25th anniversary' celebrations inside the Shepherds Bush Empire in February 2005.

He'll be missed, he and his music will be remembered.

Talking Killing Joke, I wonder how many followers of PD will be aware of Youth's current live bands 'Vertical Smile' and 'Transmission'

In particular I have seen / promoted a number of Vertical Smile shows in London over the past 18 months. An exciting outfit!

Youth recently wrote to me saying that Vertical Smile have now finished recording their first ep, I guess material from that will be previewed at another 'below the horizon' show they are headlining (but not advertising) on Saturday 26th January.

It's at a night called 'decasia' in a venue called The Macbeth, 70 Hoxton Street, Shoreditch... and there isn't a weak band on the bill. Billy Trivial in particular is a name for the future.

(samples of all acts' music and links to their sites are all found here: - - - - )

Youth continued to say he has completed producing a new album in New York for The Cult (Astbury & Duffy) in addition to Transmission having completed the sessions for their second album (Transmission includes Youth and Big Paul - this new album has a vocalist, their first didn't). Finally, click on the photo below to link to a recent interview with Youth about VS

Return to “Other bands/music”