a long time ago.

The band, the music & all related topics.

Moderators: jeff, OX4

steve
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

a long time ago.

Postby steve » 25 Apr 2006, 10:46

Hi People.

This is Steve Green. Once apon a time I strummed the Guitar a bit in a band called Play Dead.

Anybody who wants to get in touch press a button.

Steve.

jeff

Re: a long time ago.

Postby jeff » 25 Apr 2006, 14:20

um, well, hi there! This is quite unexpected, and I'm in a bit of a state at the moment.

I'm quite pleased to see you drop in, and I do hope you like what we've done with the place.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say Thanks for all that you've done-your music has provided me with 20 years (and counting) of enjoyment.

I have lots of questions to ask and fanboy statements to make, but I'll hold off on them for the moment...

-jeff!

the tenant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby the tenant » 25 Apr 2006, 20:33

Alright Steve, hope everything is well with you

steve

Postby steve » 26 Apr 2006, 07:23

Hi Guys.

Im staggered that there is still interest in the music we created. It all seems so long ago.

Are any of you people old enough to have seen us do a gig?

If so it would be fun to hear what memories you have.

Be Good.

Steve P.D.

darklord

Postby darklord » 26 Apr 2006, 15:24

Hi Steve.

I saw you 100's of times all over the country,although generally around the Nottingham area. Remember Rock City? Johnathan? He used to play your video every Saturday night in the club.
What are you doing these days?
No longer nailed to the cross

jeff

Postby jeff » 26 Apr 2006, 18:12

I first found Play Dead in early 1985. It was the Sacrosanct/Pale Fire 12" and I could tell just from the cover art that I was going to like it. (that was back in the days when you could buy music based on the cover art and typically not be disappointed, but I digress)

Shortly afterward, I went on a quest to find all the other PD items I could locate, and built up my collection over the next few years.

Being in the USA, I figured there was no chance that I was ever going to see the band live, and it wasn't until I came across the Final Epitaph LP that I discovered that the band had broken up roughly the same time I found out about them. Alas.

My quest to find out more about PD continued through the dawn of the internet when I first put up my shrine in hopes of finding others who had more information about the band, and now here we are.

IIRC, it was 1996 when I put the first site up, and a full decade later, I'm still meeting new people and sharing stories, and yes, my mp3 player here at work has no less than 25 play dead tracks on it. :P

-jeff!

the tenant

Postby the tenant » 26 Apr 2006, 19:28

Steve, i was about 5 years to young but my brothers band Fictitious Four supported you in the Oxford area if im right, i know i met Pete a couple of times in the Cage, i think it was called, the only good clothes shop in Oxford at the time.

shaeve

Postby shaeve » 27 Apr 2006, 05:21

Hi Steve,

Pleased you have taken the time to pop in. Appreciated and thanks for the music.

I unfortunately am old enough to have seen you a number of times, mostly in Manchester but also with the Cult, The Bolshoi and the Scientists i think t the London Lyceum.

Do you still play and how has your style changed in the past ( Damn is it that long) 20 years

Now I feel old

Regards

Andi

darklord

Postby darklord » 27 Apr 2006, 11:36

Me to! I remember going on a drinking bender when I heard you had split up.
Yeah, I saw you play with Killing Joke, Balaam and The Angel, Chatshow(many times) Gene Love Jezabel etc,etc,.
Do you remember a guy called Johono from Leicester? He was (then) in his late 40's and was covered in tatoos and folowed you all over the country.
He later went on to become one of my old band (Every New Dead Ghost)'s roadies and used to tell us loads of hitching stories about following you guys around the country.
If you get the chance, I would also like to talk guitars.
No longer nailed to the cross

Pale Fire

Postby Pale Fire » 28 Apr 2006, 00:53

Howdy, Steve...

Unfortunately, I wasn't old enough to have seen you live. I wasn't even one by the time Play Dead broke up in 1986; which sort of saddens me.

I feel honored to have the chance to communicate indirectly with you right now. And due to my anxious state, I must make this post short.

Check out the Myspace page I created for Play Dead if you feel like it:

http://www.myspace.com/playdeadgothicrock

Harold

Howdy Steve!

Postby Harold » 02 May 2006, 02:47

Hi Steve. How come you guys never made it over to the States for shows? I was a BIG fan in the early 80s and had pretty much everything on vinyl. I grew up in NYC and am now in San Jose, CA now. What have you been up to during the last 20 years :) Thanks for all of the great music. So many favorite songs. Love the guitar in Walk Away, the way it slices in at the beginning. How much of an influence was Geordie on your style?

Also, there is a great photo of you and rob on the psych furs web site: http://www.burneddowndays.com/talk/inde ... eadid=2811

Just scroll down.

Rgds,
Harold

Banjo

Postby Banjo » 05 May 2006, 08:26

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever

jeff

Postby jeff » 08 May 2006, 16:42

steve

Postby steve » 09 May 2006, 15:22

Banjo

Postby Banjo » 09 May 2006, 19:17

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever

Return to “Play Dead”