the Cult

Non Play Dead related music discussions

Moderators: jeff, OX4

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
the tenant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

the Cult

Postby the tenant » 20 Sep 2006, 17:46

shaeve

Postby shaeve » 21 Sep 2006, 05:24

Red Sunsets

Postby Red Sunsets » 11 Apr 2007, 00:48

I have to say they never really impressed me. Some good tunes but they looked like dicks and the way they swapped image was a bit... :oops:
forgot I was Sisters fanatic... :twisted:
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

shaeve

Postby shaeve » 11 Apr 2007, 11:38

I actually saw the Sisters more times than I saw the cult. I loved the sisters. Then it all went Gnarly and they split, after that Andrew on his own with Patty and then Tony , it was all DROSS.

Now Poison Door ..that was real dross...damn I hear it in the car(FALAA is on continual repeat)but I cant listen to that song..train is the only good B side from the added tracks.

I find I can listen to Holy Barbarians and the Astbury solo album more than I can to the Cult now..altho Goat is still half good( other half is bad)

A
Mutate or Die!!

Banjo

Postby Banjo » 12 Apr 2007, 12:27

I used to love The Cult beyond reason! The Death Cult EP still sounds up to anything recorded since as a classic imo. And to follow that up with God's Zoo, Resurrection joe, Spiritwalker, etc was just amazing. Add to that a couple of dozen fantastic gigs and it's no wonder they were the best band on the face of the planet. But they went downhill so much and so quickly! I thought the studio version of Dreamtime was weak and over-produced, robbing them of all their live energy, and making everything seem so quiet and controlled. The free live LP was much MUCH better - the Cult at their best and I still play this today. After that, they never got that initial energy back for me. Their emerging fascination with heavy rock was disastrous, as they lost all their individuality and started to sound like their idea of a 'classic rock' band. I hated Love and never forgave them/never liked them again afterwards

Damn shame! :(
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever

shaeve

Postby shaeve » 15 Apr 2007, 02:54

Love wasnt a bad album , altho when they released revolution as a single I was very distressed, The snake which appeared as a B side on Sanctuary I think was one of the better songs from the love era but got sadly overlooked. I remember a gig in Birmingham and Ian said heres a new one caleed the snake and the crowd just went quiet..Very sad , as it was a great tune...I digress.

Electric was the end for me really, I didnt buy it and I will not buy it or listen to it..very strange choice of direction altho I suspect it made them a few million..maybe it wasnt a strange choice.

If Play dead had gone the stadium rock direction, who knows they may still be here

A
Mutate or Die!!

maximus

The Cult

Postby maximus » 16 Apr 2007, 19:44

Must agree with all postings.

To be honest, I always thought they were shit - even in their 'supposed' heyday.

I know one should judge a band not by their individual personalities, but by their musical prowess... however, having met Astbury on numerous occasions during the indie years, including once where the Play Dead crew took on the Cult crew at a game of football in Brixton, Astbury always came over as a real ponce. But worst of all, he played football like a bloody fairy.

I wouldn't even bother turning my head around if they decided to play a gig behind my sofa..... Born to be Mild.

giab

Postby giab » 01 Aug 2007, 03:32

shaeve

Postby shaeve » 01 Aug 2007, 08:41

Mutate or Die!!

Dark Eyes

PEACE Album

Postby Dark Eyes » 01 Aug 2007, 12:36

shaeve

Postby shaeve » 02 Aug 2007, 06:43

I have extracts from it, somewhere in the bottom of the big box

Let me did around, Ill drop U a pm

Andi
Mutate or Die!!

giab

Postby giab » 03 Aug 2007, 01:21

I've got MP3's of it.
It's not very good, I can see why it never got released.
A couple of the best tracks (zap city & conquistador i think) made it onto a couple of singles from Electric.

Return to “Other bands/music”