New interview with Wiff.

The band, the music & all related topics.

Moderator: OX4

OX4
Site Admin

New interview with Wiff.

Postby OX4 » 28 Nov 2016, 13:27

Wiff speaks! Play Dead drummer Wiff was kind enough to sit down and be interviewed by companyofjustice.com recently. During a lengthy chat, he spoke freely about his childhood, influences, drums and, of course, in great detail about Play Dead. You can find the interview here-

http://www.companyofjustice.com/an-inte ... mber-2016/

Re: New interview with Wiff.

Postby tomcurren » 28 Nov 2016, 16:19

Thank you ! Long, long and very interesting.
I think they had too much problems to produce their music on a normal rythm to allow the band to be stick in fanatics mind and earn enough money to live in a decent way.

Postby hgrey » 30 Nov 2016, 05:14

Thanks for the fantastic interview! Interesting about the use of Linn drums.

Harold
San Jose, CA

OX4
Site Admin

Postby OX4 » 04 Dec 2016, 18:07

hgrey wrote:Thanks for the fantastic interview! Interesting about the use of Linn drums.

Harold
San Jose, CA

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, I was surprised at the Linn Drum revelation. Its obvious from listening to FTPL that there is electronic percussion on there but I did not know that virtually ALL the drums were programmed. Seems to be a hell of a waste of a powerful drummer. Linn Drums seem to work on the Cocteau Twins music because of its ethereal, wide open nature. With all the electronic effects on the guitar, a synthetic drum sound suits it. A tighter, more focused style like Play Dead's need a physical drummer driving it, in my opinion. I think the 'Into The Fire' live album is the best document of the band during this period, it shows how powerful they really were. I wish 'Isabel' was on 'Into The Fire'- I'd love to hear a good live recording of that one.

Postby West Hammer » 09 Dec 2016, 21:02

Thank you so much for this - great read.

First post from me in years but I check in most weeks. Thank you for keeping the band live for everyone - appreciated.

Still listen to PD regularly and they remain one of my all time favourites.

I do have loads of press cuttings etc. knocking around in the loft which I'll get round to sharing at some point. I also have bootlegs but will check whether they already exist or not. Sure they will.

Thanks again for all your great work!

OX4
Site Admin

Postby OX4 » 10 Dec 2016, 18:13

West Hammer wrote:Thank you so much for this - great read.

First post from me in years but I check in most weeks. Thank you for keeping the band live for everyone - appreciated.

Still listen to PD regularly and they remain one of my all time favourites.

I do have loads of press cuttings etc. knocking around in the loft which I'll get round to sharing at some point. I also have bootlegs but will check whether they already exist or not. Sure they will.

Thanks again for all your great work!

Hello. Thanks for the post and thanks for the thanks, much appreciated.

Good to hear that people like yourself are still around. Since the ascent of Facebook, interaction on the forum has slowed significantly (which is true of many online forums, so at least it is not just us...) and I sometimes wonder if anyone is reading what appears on here. You have reassured me.

Regarding press and bootlegs, anything that you may have would be very welcome. Check out the press page of the 'Archive' section, everything that we have should be up there by now. We are, of course, always on the lookout for bootleg recordings. Please feel free to send us a list of what you have when you dig them out, we would be very interested in obtaining copies. We can also help with digitizing cassettes, too.

Anyway, many thanks again. Look forward to hearing back from you when you've been in the loft!

Postby West Hammer » 31 May 2017, 11:43

HI OX4,

Finally got into the loft the other day - could only find the one bootleg for Play Dead (sure I've got more somewhere) but it isn't listed on the Audio archive.
It's from the Hacienda, Manchester 14th June 1984. Track listing is:

Intro
Walkaway
Breakout
Pleasureland
Torn on Desire
Shine
Return to the East
Isabel
Holy Holy
Solace
The Tenant

Quality is reasonable, I would say B+-A. I would have got this at a gig/fai. I can't digitalise so if you want me to post to you to convert and share that would be great. Let me know,

Cheers.

OX4
Site Admin

Postby OX4 » 10 Jun 2017, 15:24

West Hammer wrote:Finally got into the loft the other day - could only find the one bootleg for Play Dead...It's from the Hacienda, Manchester 14th June 1984...I can't digitalise so if you want me to post to you to convert and share

Hello, thanks for the message. We'd love to hear it, can drop you a line through the email address you registered with?

Regards
OX4

Postby West Hammer » 25 Jun 2017, 00:10

Yep that's fine please drop me a line and I will post it to you :D

Return to “Play Dead”